Monday, January 20, 2014

My First Zipper a.k.a. the One With the Boxy Pouch


 I am no longer scared of zippers...well, at least I am less scared of zippers than I was earlier today!


 So I am mostly a quilter but occasionally I like to try something new and different.  Up until now those "different" projects were always selected with NO ZIPPERS!!  Today, I put in my first zipper, and it wasn't too bad, really...it actually was pretty easy and came out really nice.
Thanks to this tutorial by Pink Stitches I have successfully made a Boxy Tote.  Of course, I used my favorite material ever...Sweetwater's Sewing Guide from Mama Said Sew.  I made three changes from the tutorial and used a 13" zipper, fusible fleece for interfacing, and some cotton webbing for the handle...these were the supplies I had on hand and I think they worked great with the pattern.

This is the bag with a pincushion I stitched last year...they make a good pair!

Here it is holding some of my favorite Aurifil spools...so pretty!


Now, I am ready to try another zipper project!

10 comments:

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Zip-a-dee-do-dah...looks great.

KaHolly said...

Nothing to fear!! It's adorable. I made a few of those boxy totes. I used a different tutorial, found them to be a little labor intensive, but I kept making them! My SIL loved his camo one filled with trial size goodies at Christmas time.

Jennifer said...

I have had "make zippered bag" on my list for at least two years. I have never made anything with a zipper. So thanks for giving me a push! I'm gonna have to give it a try too! Love the fabric! Great job!

Patty said...

this looks to be a great bag! I've made many a zippered bag before but never a boxy one. Thanks for the tip on the tutoral.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wonderful bag! So fun. Well now I know who to send my zippers to for attaching....:)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

After I made my first zippered pouch, I was surprised to see how easy it was to sew in a zipper. The bag looks amazing, Kris!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh good for you! It has been years since I did a zipper but I sure would like to try. Thanks for the link. Such a darling set!

Tinliz said...

It looks so "Kris". Did you buy a bolt of that fabric? (lol) I look forward to seeing it in your projects.

susie said...

Love the bag and that fabric! Thanks for a great share.

Tinliz said...

Kris,
Saw your quilt Dixie Diary on http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/ Very pretty quilt.