Friday, September 12, 2014

A Stitch Switch

I really want to finish the Doctor Who Quilt but I think I need to consider some setting options carefully before committing.  I am heavily leaning towards joining the blocks directly and adding a wide overall border...the border treatment is still being considered tho...so many ideas...can't choose which way to go.

So, of course, it must be time to start a new project!!

I was very fortunate to be included in a group of bloggers given a selection of Black Cat Crossing for the Upcoming Sew We Quilt blog hop.  My heartfelt thanks to Maywood Studio, Madame Samm, and Carol   :)  Here is the bundle I am working with:
I am normally not much of a purple fabric lover but I like the pop of color this has with those dots and stars.  And ooooooooh, there are black birds and cats.  I am well on my way to completing the top (no peeks, sorry!!) and it is looking mighty Halloween-y around here!!

 I have been enjoying this Halloween mini (yes, those are 1 inch squares!) given to me by my Aunt Karen recently...she is a very talented quilter and I have inherited a few of her beautiful things as she prepares for a move.

One of the things she gave me was her dolly from younger days...I have named her Baby Kay as that is the middle name we both share.

I know it may be ambitious, but I would like to make her some doll clothes.  Anyone have any ideas for what a beginner might be able to tackle?  I have never made doll clothes before.  For those that wonder, the rocking chair is similar vintage, it was my Mom's when she was small.

Thanks again Aunt of mine, you are loved :)

9 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I'm just barely cutting into those Halloween fabrics, so you are ahead of me (not that I'm competitive or anything.) LOL That doll is gorgeous! I've never made doll clothes before, so no ideas from me, sorry. But, then again, if you're making doll clothes, Doctor Who....well, we'll see.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I have not made doll clothes in years. How big is your doll? Find a vintage pillowcase with the embroidery and crochet and make a simple pillowcase dress. It would look so lovely in a vintage baby dress though.

KatieQ said...

Your Baby Kay looks like the original wooden head Betsy Wetsy doll made by the Ideal Corp. My uncle worked there as an engineer and he bought them at the factory store for his two daughters and I back in the early 50's. I loved that doll. The later versions had vinyl heads and eventually they had rooted hair which looked totally gross. There was a competing doll that looked very similar called Tiny Tears. You may actually have that one. It should indicate the name of the company on the back of the head. The original Simplicity patterns for their clothing is available on EBay. The toy business was too cutthroat for my dear uncle so he went to work for the US government at an arsenal. I've always found that a bit ironic. Thanks for sharing the picture of your sweet baby doll. It brought back happy memories and a little bit of jealousy.

thepiececorps said...

Luv those greens and purples!

Linda said...

I love your doll.I had one just like it when I was very young. Mine was a Tiny Tears and she would cry tears and wet when given a bottle of water. I think my doll may have been smaller than your doll. I still have the dress she wore but not the doll. She was given too many bottles of water and she fell apart after many years of use.

Sharon said...

Love that sweet "50's" baby :) And guess which aunt of yours has a stash of doll clothes patterns ?? :D I only need to know the height of your little one and I can take some photos of pattern envelopes to give you an idea of the possibilities.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I am still working on the designs and you are already almost done with the top? You are fast!! The mini is so cute! Let me know what you find out about the doll clothes. I would like to make a couple of dresses for my little doll too, actually the only doll that I have ever had. My grandmother used to make the dresses for her from my old clothes.

-Soma

Michelle said...

Her face is just perfect -- I love that expression! I'm sure you can make clothes for her.

Sew Surprising said...

Seems Halloween fabrics and projects are everywhere at the moment, just not something Aussies have caught on to do doing. Must say I love your Dr Who project, paper piecing wins everytime with me :)