Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Quick Finish I Didn't Start

I have mentioned in a previous post my Aunt Karen is moving and has gifted a few things my way...one of those was this quilt which was only in need of a binding...
 She made this in a BOM through a local quilt shop and she found the details for me to share here: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVx3TZSFUFXUAAg9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0MWl0Y2w5BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDUyM18x?_adv_prop=image&fr=ipad&va=tonga+rhapsody+block+of+the+month
It was quilted by a very talented longarm quilter by the name of Chris Kinderman.  I love all the feathers and swirling present in her choice of design.  This quilt finished at 75" x 90" and has a wonderful drape as it is made entirely of batiks.  The backing is the same fabric as it is bound in.
As I squared up and bound this beauty my kitty helper was right there with assistance in holding everything steady...see how serious she takes her job?

 Much thanks to my aunt for gifting our family this beautiful quilt :)
And, thanks to those of you who gave suggestions on how I might go about making a dress for this Tiny Tears that my Aunt Karen also gifted to me.  As a beginner at doll clothes, I have decided to start down the path of a pillowcase dress as suggested by Colette...my Aunt Sharon who also reads this blog has provided me with a diagram as to how to go about creating a yoke for the top of the dress and I found this beautiful crochet and embroidered pillowcase to use as the skirt at a fall festival with an antique tent this last weekend.  
My friend Cheryl and I were quite the pair digging through the linens...I saw several feedsack aprons I would have enjoyed bringing home also.  Since this is an 18 inch doll, I will probably need to narrow the pillowcase so she doesn't swim in it. I am still a bit intimidated to make a cut, but I am studying the project carefully...can you tell I am engineer-trained?? ...ha!!
Is it wrong that my souvenir D.C. Starbucks cup is filled with my favorite Coffee-mate spiked coffee for fuel?

Now I am back to the Doctor Who quilt today...my son has ok'd the newest plan for the top - Yay!  :)

9 comments:

Jeanie said...

Gorgeous quilt.... I can't believe she didn't want this any more. Beautiful finish, thanks to your trusty helper!

Tinliz said...

What a beautiful quilt. Your Aunt Karen is a good judge of who will appreciate her efforts. Anxious to see how your doll dress turns out. You inspired me to watch a Dr. Who episode last week. It was on Wisconsin Public TV. I was able to watch it on my computer.
KOS,
Liz

Patty said...

beautiful quilt from your aunt.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

ROFL back in the day when I was doing Business Analytics we called that analysis paralysis. Your pillowcase is gorgeous and the quilt is absolutely fabulous. Love Batiks.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Wonderful quilt - I'd love it if I were gifted with one like that! blessings, marlene

Sandy D said...

A Beautiful Quilt and a great keepsake.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So wonderful to have something loved from your Aunt. I remember my Tiny Tears doll....:):)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

A very beautiful quilt from your aunt. Can't wait to see the dress you make for the little dolly.

-Soma

Linda said...

I can't wait to see your doll dress and the quilt is beautiful. Your Aunt Karen is a wonderful quilter.I'm glad your kitty helper keeps you in line! lol