Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Caught Up With Grandmother's Choice


So I am caught up with the Grandmother's Choice QAL and just finished ROW 3.  There will be a total of 49 blocks and we have now finished 21...only 28 more to go!!  Above you will see my simplified Parasol which I designed in EQ6 and paper pieced...I thought that it fit better with the overall style of the blocks that I have been making than the pattern Barbara presented here.

Here is my quilt so far...


I also changed block #19, Old Maid's Ramble to a diamond which I thought kind of resembles the Jane Austen quilt....ok, not really but I'm working with an 8" square, people!!  Lol! Barbara mentions Jane in the history lesson on #19 so I just couldn't resist trying to get her in there.
My quilt will have a few substitutions since I have not always followed the directions, yes, this is a trait I often exhibit...but I am happy with it so far and am still calling it the Peanut Butter Jelly quilt because the fabrics just sing that to me.  

I really suggest even if you choose not to make this quilt it is worthwhile to visit Barbara's blog and read the history lessons on Women Fighting For the Right to Vote...lots of fascinating information.

4 comments:

Patty said...

Your parasol very much fits the blocks much better than the one I used. Nice job and congrats for catching up.

WoolenSails said...

Those look beautiful together, I didn't realize there were so many already.
I am bad about keeping up with blocks, so i just enjoy seeing what others make.

Debbie

Barb Neiwert said...

Wow! Yep, you've got the Wow Factor going on in this quilt. I love how it's all coming together.

Karen said...

Looks great, Kris! I love that you're putting the top together as you go. Looking forward to seeing the next row!