Monday, March 5, 2018

Small, Smaller, Smallest Blog Hop

Welcome to my day for the Small, Smaller, Smallest Blog Hop.  Many thanks to Carol for hosting this fun show and tell :)  I have deviated a bit from my normal quilty projects for this one as the directions were to make something small.  I toyed with the idea of making a bag but a few things stepped in my way this last month which prevented that from happening so I thought I would share a Punch Needle Rug project I played with this last month to open up my creativity...


 This is the front side...

(Normally rug hookers would consider this the front side but with this design's use of thin stems, it is the back in this case.)

I loved the pattern by AROUNNA KHOUNNORAJ and the wool and wool blend yarns were beautiful to punch with :)  I am a fan of the oxford punch needle and think it was much easy and faster than the rug hooking I have tried before.  This designer sees this side as the finished but rug hookers would typically use the other side.  This design with it's thin stems is easier to see with this thickness of yarn on the "reverse" side from normal.  It is hanging in my quilt room enjoying a place of honor among my minis.

This is the February box for https://thecraftersbox.com/ .  I have never tried a subscription box before but this one struck me as different as you get a pile o' supplies and a video instruction for something different in the Art world.  I am pretty stuck on quilting as my game so it was good to step out and try something new.  This is not really an advertisement for them as I am not an affiliate or anything, just a customer -but I was pleased with this box and love the fact that I got to try something new :)

Thanks for joining me today and...

Here is the schedule for today as well as for the rest of the hop, please be sure to visit all these fine folks!!

March 5


March 6


March 7


March 8

43 comments:

Farm Quilter said...

Looks like you have found a fun way to step out of the quilts-only box and play with other ways to be creative. You did a great job on it!

Martina said...

Oh that looks amazing! I have never done punchneedle but just love the look of it! Great small project!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm not able t o work with wool due to allergies, but I just love the look of it in any fiber art work. This is just lovely.

Creativeblonde66 said...

Love it, what a fab project. Might have to try this 💕

Dorian said...

You did a lovely job on your needle punch. It's fun to do something different once in awhile.

Little Quiltsong said...

Looks very interesting. You did a beautiful job with this Kris!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice and unique...great job!

Carol said...

Your project is beautiful. I did a little bit of needle punch many years ago and only on shirts for decoration, but the wool looks amazing. Great project. Thanks for sharing!

Quilter Kathy said...

Ohhhh this is something I've always wanted to try!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Happy Small Blog Hop!

Carol Swift said...

This is definitely stepping out of the box from quilting, but it's something I've always wanted to do. It's really beautiful, Kris, and it's amazing just like you. You always make me want to do whatever you're doing because you are so creative. Thanks for sharing! Of course, I went and check out those links. LOL

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great project. Glad you enjoyed it, and it looks wonderful.

Needled Mom said...

That looks so pretty, Kris. I love the colors too. It has been years since I’ve done needle punch, but I may need to give it another try.

Lori said...

this is very pretty. I have not done this in a while. now I need to pull my stuff out again. thanks

tink's mom said...

I love that you stepped out of the quilting box. This is a wonderful piece. Thanks for sharing it with us today. Great kick off for this hop.

Patty said...

Great project!I've never tried needle punch before - yours looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

I love the leaf design too! I haven't tried this technique, but it looks really pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Calicojoan said...

This is something I've never tried before. It looks fabulous and fun. I might have to step out of my comfort zone.

Susan said...

Great little project - love the fall colors!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

It's beautiful. I can see why you chose the reverse side as your front. The stems do look much better. Lovely colours too!!

-Soma

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

Lovely project. I love seeing something different.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I've never done punch art....yours is inspiring. :) )

Beth said...

I'd never heard of that program--thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anonymous said...

What a great piece! I like the back that's really the front the best. =) What fun to do something a little different.

LJ said...

The Crafter's Box sounds like fun especially getting something new to try each month. Loved you small hooked project. Looks like you're a pro!

Carla said...

I've never done this, but it looks like fun. It's so fun to see a new craft.

Corrie said...

It's so fun to try different things. Your project is awesome!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

This is beautiful and such a lovely project. My father in law, for some reason, liked to do rug hooking! He was an avid reader, professional musician, teacher and many other things. With little other artistic experience, he somehow "latched" onto rug hooking. This overly conservative man would say with a smile, I'm a hooker you know!" You just gave me such a nice memory.

Mary Ann said...

What a great little. I mean small :), project. Thanks for sharing.

Kwilty Pleasures said...

Now that’s a craft I had forgotten about. Nice

Sue McQ said...

Beautiful! I have never tried needlepunch, yet.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Thanks for doing a rug hooker project. I am not at all familiar with that craft but it sure looks interesting. Do you just punch the yarn thru? How does it stay in place?

Deonn said...

Sweet little needle punch - don't you love little projects? Fun, then done!

Kim said...

Your project is beautiful! It's been a long time since I've seen rughooking done.

Kathy E. said...

I'm almost afraid to say it, but I think I'd like to try punch needling! What a great craft with so much texture and color! Small projects that are fun are just the best, aren't' they?

Scrapatches said...

What a fun project. It is nice to try something new sometimes. Thanks for the info on the Crafter's Box site. Your needle punch looks as expert as the expert's. Thanks for sharing, Kris ... :) Pat

Amy said...

Oh Kris, that is so awesome!! I have yet to try needle punch. You make me want to give it a shot.

Pamela said...

Very pretty! I've never tried needle punch, but maybe someday.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Gorgeous punch work!

KaHolly said...

Your something new turned out just lovely! Back in the 70’s, my mom subscribed to a craft club and every month they would send something entirely different to make. We would have so much fun. I’d forgotten about that!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

beautiful! How long does one of these projects take to do?

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your Punch Needle project turned out beautiful!

Dawn said...

Super cute punching. I have not seen that brand punch, will be on the lookout for it.
I have never done a box subscription either! Sounds tempting.
Enjoy your fun, sweet small projects!

gpcrafty said...

Very pretty.