Thursday, September 22, 2016

Cat Embroidery SAL - A Start

I have admired the stitching of Nicole of Follow the White Bunny for quite a while and decided to play along with her newest stichalong project for a Cat Portrait.  She does beautiful stitcheries and I hope to learn quite a bit with this project   :)

I have purchased her Cat Portrait Stitch Guide and have chosen my photo and a floss palette for Miss Kittykitty so I am well on my way!!

This is the picture I am going to use, I think...I had to lure her to sit still with some quilt blocks, my Kittykitty loves to lie about on quilt blocks!!
 This was my other photo choice but there just doesn't seem to be enough contrast with this one to make for interesting fur stitching...and she looks crabby, not much for photographs, this lady.
She was quite a fan of helping me pick DMC floss from my stash that matched her fur...oh yes, that was a nice game, indeed!!  I found it surprising that my ginger cat is actually more reddish brown and gold than orange and I found several shades that will be good for her nose and ears and the other bits that are more white into grey.



Anyone going to join in?  It starts officially next week, I think.






9 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Oh looking forward to seeing your progress on this. Our son still misses our cat, and hints at getting another, but.....we'll see. Your cat has such a cute face. I'm sure he was a big help in picking out the floss :)!

Patty said...

This will be really cool when you are done. Did you print the photo on fabric or order it from somewhere?

Aunt 'Reen said...

You have such a beautiful kitty!
Your stitched portrait of her is going to be gorgeous.
So fun to see all the beautiful threads you will be using and really look forward to following your progress on this!

Crazy for Art said...

Wow! Can't wait to see this! It might be something I'd like to try too! Pretty kitty :-)

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

You've got a nice selection of shades to start with, I wonder if the yellows aren't too yellow but you'll find out which colour works and which doesn't once you start stitching. And you can always add and discard along the way of course. :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

It will be great to see your kitty worked up in thread. Like the colors you chose.

Needled Mom said...

That is going to be fun! Love the colors.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Miss Kittykitty is so beautiful. I can't wait to see this. The colours you picked are so warm and pretty, well, they have to match the pretty lady :)

-Soma

Carol Swift said...

I can't wait to see how this goes together. Do you trace it on fabric?